Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Fresh Cranberry Breakfast Scones

PointsPlus Cookbook, page 30

Yes, these are very obviously not cranberry. Truth is I don't like cranberries. Plus, blueberries were on sale. This just goes to show that you can swap out the berries pretty easily for whatever happens to be in season.



Fresh Blueberry Breakfast Scones
Mix dry ingredients. Then cut in the butter.
Add the wet ingredients.
I waited until I split the dough to add the berries.
Flatten and cut into six triangles.
Glaze with buttermilk and sugar.
Break apart after baking.

If made to recipe and split into 12 servings, this recipe is 4 PointsPlus. I found the serving size to be satisfying, so I did not change it. As I mentioned previously, you can easily substitute the berries for equal measurement of berries or fruit (apple-cinnamon anyone?). 

Though this recipe has a lot of sugar, I would not reduce it. It has a very wheat-y flavor and the sugar helps balance it out. The texture is thicker than I tend to prefer scones. Overall, this is a delicious breakfast item that you can pair with some whole fruit or a fruit salad. I'd definitely make it again.


Shortcuts:

None

Substitutions 
(may affect PointsPlus value):

Blueberries instead of cranberries.

Omissions:

None

No comments:

Post a Comment