Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup

PointsPlus Cookbook, page 104

I love making soups and stews in the colder weather. To be fair, I consider most of the weather we have here to be "colder." No matter, this soup is perfect to warm me up!

Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup

Cook the onion until tender.
Stir in tomato, broth, and garlic.
Simmer covered until tomatoes are tender.
While the tomatos are simmering, whisk together the milk and tomato paste.
Puree in batches.
Before puree.
After puree.
Add puree to milk mixture. Garnish with fresh basil.

If made to recipe and split into 4 servings, this recipe is 4 PointsPlus. Since this soup is for my lunches, I split it into 5 servings, which reduced the PointsPlus value. By changing the portion and making substitutions, I brought this recipe down to 3 PointsPlus.

I'll add a salad from the salad bar as a filling side that packs in more veggies.

Shortcuts:

The recipe calls for peeled tomatoes. Since they're being pureed, I didn't see a need to peel them.

Substitutions (may affect PointsPlus values):
Nonfat milk in place of low fat milk.
Chicken broth in place of vegetable broth.

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! How does it taste? Would you change anything the next time you make it....a year from now? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to make note that I need to taste these before I post. haha! I didn't taste it, but I'm a fan of tomato soup anyway, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. With that in mind, I would probably have added steamed carrots to the puree just to add some more vitamins.

      Delete