Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Southwest Turkey Burgers

Power Foods Cookbook, page 137

This is another one of my boyfriend's picks. With two guys in the house, burgers are always welcome here. 





I forgot to buy bread crumbs, so I used Panko.
Put everything in a bowl and mix it up.
I like to refrigerate it for a while to sort of marinade the meat.
Form into patties.
Cook on a skillet. Or grill. Whatever.
Flip and cook the other side.
Garnish with your favorite condiments.


If made to recipe and split into 4 servings, this recipe is 7 PointsPlus. I don't see too much wiggle room to reduce the PointsPlus value on these: you could split the patties into 5 servings and find the lightest whole wheat hamburger buns (or sandwich thins) that you can find. You can also substitute a low fat ground beef for minimum PointsPlus change.

I apparently had some kind of mental block when shopping for this recipe. I totally forgot to add ground turkey, buns, bread crumbs, jalapeno, and salsa to my shopping list. A second trip to the store helped, but it still wasn't everything. Working with what I had, this was still a hit in the house and we'll definitely be making it again! 
That lovely side dish you see is Citrusy Carrot Salad with Green Olives.

Shortcuts:

None

Substitutions 
(may affect PointsPlus value):
Panko instead of bread crumbs

Omissions:

Jalapeno
Salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment