Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Pot Roast with Winter Vegetables

PointsPlus Cookbook, page 124

I'm afraid this is going to be one of the last few recipes the boys will eat. Pot roast and beef stew are also meals that are always welcome here. I really liked that this had different vegetables than I typically use.



Pot Roast with Winter Vegetables
I like to use pre-cut beef to reduce prep time and make portioning easier.
Beef, broth, thyme, and bay leaf.
Cut up the potato.
Peel and cut up the turnip.
Add carrots, potato, and turnip.
Cook on high for 4 hrs.
When you have about 30 mins left, add the cabbage.
Pot Roast with Winter Vegetables

If made to recipe and split into 4 servings, this recipe is 8 PointsPlus. I found that we were able to get about 7 servings out of it for approx. 6 PointsPlus per serving. 

This wasn't originally a crock pot recipe, but I'm always on the look out for recipes that can be converted. Soups and stews are extremely easy since it involves tossing everything in, setting it, and coming back later to a finished meal. Don't be afraid to experiment!

This is one that I'd definitely make again. I'll admit that I'm not too fond of the turnip, though. Next time, I'd use another potato, sweet potato, or parsnip instead.


Shortcuts:

Use pre-cut beef
Cook in a crock pot!

Substitutions 
(may affect PointsPlus value):
None, though next time I would use either another potato, sweet potato, or parsnip instead of the turnip

Omissions:

Pickling spice - didn't have it

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yum yum yum!

    And I agree with you that turnips are not my favorite. We get them from the farm periodically, so I'm pretty good about hiding them in other vegetables, but I still know they're there. They're actually pretty good roasted, though.

    Parsnips are Eric's favorite vegetable ever.

    ReplyDelete