Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Peas

PointsPlus Cookbook, p. 157

I chose this recipe on a whim just because I needed something else this week. It turned out to be one of my all-time favorites!

Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Peas

Soak dried mushrooms in water.
Brown chicken.
Slice fresh mushrooms.
Chop onion. 
Strain dried mushrooms and coarsely chop.
Cook until vegetables are soft, then add flour.
Add reserved mushroom liquid and wine. Bring to a boil.
Add half-and-half, peas, and tarragon.
Cook until heated through.
Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Peas

If made to recipe and split into 4 servings, this recipe is 6 PointsPlus. You could easily split this into 5 servings to reduce the PointsPlus value. I'd also suggest serving this over rice, quinoa, or whole wheat pasta.


This is by far my favorite thing that I've made so far. I'm a big fan of every single element in this dish - chicken, mushrooms, onions, peas, cream sauce. So very tasty. My boyfriend even liked it!


There are a few major changes I'd make next time. I'd only use fresh mushrooms. The dried mushrooms were ok, but nothing beats fresh mushrooms in flavor and texture. Since I'm removing the dried mushrooms, I'd substitute the reserved liquid from the dried mushrooms for chicken broth. I'd probably also add another onion, some garlic, and more peas.


Shortcuts:

I left the chicken in the pan when I added the liquid. It needed a little more cooking.

Substitutions 
(may affect PointsPlus value):
None - Though next time I'd substitute fresh mushrooms for dried and chicken broth for dried mushroom liquid.

Omissions:

None - I may omit the tarragon.

1 comment: